Friday, March 5, 2010

Storing Up My Kitchen Cabinet With Essentials

This is my first weekend in Australia staying by myself without any family or relatives to support and seek guidance from. But you know what? I'm actually proud to say it's a real joy! Yea, no doubt I have to do my own groceries, carry 5kg of shopping bag and walk home for about 1.1km under the mysterious (hot and sunny for 30 minutes then heavy rain for 30 minutes) weather of Brisbane, cook by myself, wash my own laundry, pick up and wash up after myself. But after a day's hard work, I lay down my head on the pillow and tell myself 'hey, I actually learned how to make decisions, solve problem, fall into trouble and pick yourself up and most importantly, independent.

Yesterday I went to Woollies (Woolworths, one of the giant supermarket chains in Oz) to do my groceries again. I stock up my cabinet with common goods (things every Malaysian would have) such as Peanut Butter, Rice and Instant Noodle to name a few. These items can last us for 'curfews' or when we are lazy to cook. Hehe!

Here are some important stuff I bought.


Chocolate, Coffee and Coffee-mate

Initially, the coffee was awful!! Because I'm so use to kopi 'gao'. But this coffee was so pondan. I thought it was due to the 'home brand' and not Nescafe or something, but only later I realize, Oz (or ang moh for that matter) don't drink 'gao gao' coffee. They only like pondan cause they love it with milk and sugar. Man, suddenly I forgot I was in Oz. So as the saying goes, In Rome, do as the Roman does. So in Oz, I did as the Oz's does. Spoil my coffee buds with coffee and coffee-mate (occasionally add chocolate to get Neslo or plain delicious creamy low-fat milk to get Kopi Susu.



Peanut Butter! Who can live without it? Yup, Ian (my cousin) taught me to make peanut butter sandwich by adding a little honey on the spread. And it turned out great! So to all my friends who are living/studying away from home, learn this method. It is a great snack or meal when you are hungry or depress. Australian loves Vege-mite. They eat it with anything. Bread, ice, biscuits etc. In Malaysia, we call it Marmite or Bovril. I didn't stock that up cause I'm not really into it. The fish sauce was bought out of emotion. I did exactly as Julius Ceaser said, "I come, I see, I conquer." I came into the shop, I saw fish sauce and it was cheap, I conquer it by paying for it then later ask myself, what the heck is fish sauce? In Malaysia, my family don't use fish sauce! We use oyster sauce. So if any of you know of a good recipe, please let me know ya. Teach me how to use fish sauce. I have one pint of bottle to use. If no one teach me, Sean (my housemate) will ask me to drink it like the way I drink my Coke.




The above picture is enough to proof that I'm a Malaysian. Instant noodles and Rice. Yea, it has been a while since I had rice. Sigh. So I bought a pack to cook next week. But I don't know what to eat it with. So maybe Monday I will cook some rice and eat it with canned tuna and fry one egg. Tuesday, I will fry the remaining rice. Wednesday, I shall eat a pack of instant noodles. Yea! I got my 3 day meals planned out! Now you get what I mean when I say I learn how to solve problems. From don't know what to cook to cook 3 days meal. But please share with me how to use fish sauce la. Cause I really don't know how to use it (what is it)!



If there's one thing in Australia which is cheaper than in Malaysia, it would be cheese. i bought a 24 slice pack for RM9. Yup, amazing. The downside: In Oz, cheap food makes you fat. Healthy food makes you poor. So, it's a tension between the rich and poor, fat and thin. Man, I'm poor but fat! That doesn't jive somehow! But now you all know why!
Another sandwich tip. Get some cheese, sliced some white (guai lou) mushrooms, shred some lettuce/cucumber and throw in tonnes of ham and clipped it between 2 slices of bread. Its wouth-watering wholesome, healthy and cheap meal. Ian taught me as well. Awesome!!



Now, to the supplementary goods. On the left are plums and peaches. I believe Malaysians have not seen peaches before. Don't worry. Neither have I seen one till today. So i bought a pack to taste. Sorry, i couldn't open the sealed bag to get a nicer picture cause I dun planned to eat it anytime soon. When I eat it, I will take a closer shot ya. And orange juice. Well, relatively cheap. Its $2.40. But I think it's not too bad because a glass a day will provide me with the VitaminC required daily (OK, I just talk cock. I bought it because I wanted the bottle to fill it with plain water once I finish it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment