Thursday, July 15, 2010

Melbourne Trip-First Day

As I am writing this blog, I’m currently 10.2km above sea level, on the way to Melbourne. This is the first time I am blogging on air!!


This morning, I woke up at 5.05am. took a shower, make a hot drink and started to pack last minute stuff. At 5.45am sharp, I made sure I off all electric appliances and locked up my house as instructed by Vivian, my housemate. I had to drag my 15kg luggage, pick-a-bag pack of 5kg and a laptop of 5kg and walk 1km to the train station. It was so tiring and first time in my Oz life, I was sweating like a pig at 6am in the morning.


By the time I arrive at the train station, I had to top up my go-card as I ran out of credit. With my heavy load, I walk the whole station trying to search for a ticket counter and after all the searching and walking, a fellow traveler told me that Indooroopilly Station has no ticket counter. CRAP!! So I had to take a train Central Station, walk downstairs to the ticket counter, top up my card and walk up again to platform 3 for the Airport Express.


This is the first time I’m traveling alone. Along the way, I notice many incident worth taking note of. On the train from Indooroopilly Station to Central, the train captain PERSONALLY came out from his cabin and asked me ‘are you going to the airport?’ I replied ‘yes’. He asked again ‘Do you know your way? You have to switch train at Central’. I replied again ‘Sure mate, thanx for your advice’. A train captain actually bothers about a customer. That is really commendable. Back in Malaysia, I doubt any train captain will give a @!#$ about where are you heading to!!


Upon arrival at Brisbane Domestic Airport, I was looking for Tiger Airlines check-in counter. After some searching, Tigers was actually behind all the big companies such as Qantas, Jetstar, Virgin Blue etc.. I was then greeted by a pretty lady. Tigers, being a budget airline, they are very very very strict of the luggage weight. That is how budget airlines make money. 100grams exceed the limit, u have to pay that excess right away. Guess what? My luggage weight is 15.0kg ON THE DOT. Not even slightly off the limit. Even the pretty lady was commenting on how well I packed. Awesome. Now I can happily put aside the heavy luggage that I had to drag for 2km (include ticket counter searching) that gave me some blisters on my palm and go and have my breakfast at Hungry Jacks. While I was eating by myself, I realize it’s so fun traveling alone. I don’t have to wait for people, don’t have to worry for those around me. Nice.


After waiting at the lounge I manage to board the plane at 8.30am.


An hour later, here I am, 33465feet above sea level, on my way to Melbourne. Trust that it will be a good experience. I should be landing in one and a half hours time. Melbourne is now 5 degrees celcius in the day and could reach negative at night. Not too sure how true is it, but I hope the winter clothing I have is sufficient.


Will continue my story later when I arrive in Melbourne


Cherio

No comments:

Post a Comment